1) Name, Location - My name is Jenn Holliday of jennuinecandles and I live in the Phoenix Metro area of Arizona.
Isn't it beautiful? Not only is it called Day Spa, but its also in one of my favorite colors, purple :)
Now, here is Jenn, in her own words.
2) Where can you be found online? I can be found in numerous places. I have a shop on Etsy (www.jennuinecandles.etsy.com), ArtFire (http://jennuinecandles.artfire.com), and on 1000 Markets (http://jennuinecandles.1000Markets.com). I also have a website (www.jennuinecandles.com), a blog (http://jennuinecandles09.blogspot.com/) a Twitter account (http://twitter.com/jennuinecandles) and a Plurk account (http://www.plurk.com/jennuinecandles). If I had one to choose from for someone to follow it would definitely be my blog because my shops and all my latest news is updated in one place.
3) What do you do? I make 100% Palm Wax Candles. It is a natural and sustainable wax produced from palm oil, which comes from the fruit of the oil palm tree. More importantly, the palm wax used in every one of my candles is obtained from suppliers that are partnered with the Roundtable on Sustainable Palm Oil to prevent deforestation. Palm wax is also cleaner burning than paraffin wax, resulting in less soot production and a significantly reduced potential for harmful emissions. They also burn longer, have a superior ability to "hold" fragrance and have a whiter flame than paraffin candles. And, it cleans up easily with soap and water.
4) How long have you done it? I’ve only been making them for 6 months now, but didn’t start selling them until I had done plenty of testing and research to make sure that I had a product that was worthy of putting on the “market”.
5) How did you start? How did you learn your craft? By day, I am an Occupational Therapist. I work with the older adult population and have the opportunity to maximize their quality of life everyday. Rewarding? Definitely. Stressful? Unfortunately. Over my career, I have experienced countless moments of joy and sorrow; it's in the moments of sorrow that I have identified a need for an escape. I am lucky enough to have found two fabulous hobbies to escape...candlemaking and photography. I had always had an interest in homemade hobbies, but never put my finger on "the one" that I could make my own until I was introduced to palm candles by a good friend. Amazed at the appearance and scent throw, I did some research and experimenting. I had finally found "my hobby"; one that I could enjoy, one that I could find pleasure in, one that I could use to escape and one that others could enjoy as well. I initially started out with the idea of making candles for my home and as gifts for family and friends - after all, who doesn't like candles, especially candles that have a scent that lasts from first light to the last light? But, as co-workers and friends became aware of my new hobby...jennuinecandles was born.
6) Why did you choose this and not something else? Quite simply, it allows me an escape from the rigors of my normal life. I love looking through my fragrance oils or researching my preferred suppliers for newly added fragrance oils and imagining the scent and the beauty that each candle will produce. I am also a people pleaser of sorts and I love the reactions that people have to my candles and it brings me joy to know that I can bring enjoyment to somebody else.
7) Is this a full time profession for you or do you have another job? As mentioned earlier, by day I am an Occupational Therapist; I work with the older adult population in three assisted living/memory care communities in the northwest area of Phoenix.
8) If this isn’t your full time profession, would you do it full time if you could? I would totally do this and my other hobby, photography, (www.shutterchaos.com) as my full-time “work” if they were able to pay my bills. ☺
9) Anything you want to share with others in your craft or who may be considering your craft? With anything, it takes patience, research and a lot of testing to get the right combination that works. The plus side to the testing is a great smelling house! ☺
10) Anything that I didn’t ask that you would like to talk about? I do make and sell my palm wax candles on my sites, but I am very much willing and wanting to do more custom orders; they are more fun because they become unique to that one person. I currently have over 40 scents and 5 different sized containers (glass jars and travel tins) and am always looking to expand to new scents and containers. My scents and their full descriptions can be found on my website (www.jennuinecandles.com). Thank you for the opportunity to feature myself, my shops and my blog! Jenn
And Thank You Jenn for taking part in my Artist Spotlight!
If you would like to get your own spotlight on my blog email me at firstname.lastname@example.org and I will send you the questionnaire. Thank you.