Monday, March 23, 2009

Artist Spotlight on Alisun at Alisun's Custom Crafted Jewelry

This week's spotlight is on Alisun from Alisun's Custom Crafted Jewelry. She's got a lovely shop full of beautiful items such as these earrings which she calls Core of my Heart. They feature her husband's birth stone on the inside and hers on the outside. Aren't they lovely? And now, without further adieu, here is Alisun, in her own words. 1) Name, Location Alisun Riggs, San Jose, CA
2) Where can you be found online? www.alisuns.artfire.com www.alisuns.blogspot.com www.byhandme.blogspot.com Facebook Aim: Cedarga Skype: Cedarga Email: Cedarga@comcast.net
3) What do you do? I’m currently making jewelry from wire, chain, Swarovski and Crystazzi crystals, gemstones, and glass. In the past I have supplemented my income with knitting and crochet. In particular, I’ve crocheted and stiffened Christmas ornaments.
4) How long have you done it? I only knit and crochet for the family at the present, but that can change without notice. I have been obsessed with jewelry for the past year.
5) How did you start? I had a bangle watch that my grandbaby liked. I took it off and gave it to her to play with and it disappeared. We were at a family reunion: Christmas or birthday celebration. All of us looked everywhere for it (including where it was found two years later) but didn’t find it. The replacement watch (I only wear them on airplanes so it was some time later) was a chunky dangly charm thingy that I thought would translate easily into Mother’s Day Mother’s Bracelets for my family. Teaching myself to make them obsessed me for six months and they actually complimented the results, so I was hooked.
6) Why did you choose this and not something else? I believe because it was something fun and new. At my age new is hard to find.
7) How did you learn your craft? I went online and gathered findings, visited hobby shops, and read tutorials. I wish I’d invested in lessons early because I spent a fortune on things that didn’t work.
8) Is this a full time profession for you or do you have another job? I’m currently unemployed. I spend all the time I’m not being a housewife or job hunter playing with my beads. I love it.
9) If this isn’t your full time profession, would you do it full time if you could? I’d love to make money doing jewelry, but don’t see it as a full-time means of support. I’d love to edit. I don’t, however, have the degree. 10) Anything you want to share with others in your craft or who may be considering your craft? Yes. There is no wrong way to do things. One of my least favorite items is one of my daughter’s favorites. If you don’t like a certain stone or design, don’t cast it aside: someone wants it.
11) Anything that I didn’t ask that you would like to talk about? Yes. ArtFire.com. This group of artists is inclusive and willing to share tips and promote each other’s art. The majority of the artists are jewelry makers. I’m not sure what that says about our society, but it seems lots of us want adornment. Artists on this site range from traditional artists who paint/draw/photograph to those who create cosmetics and bath products to those who upcycle in an interesting way and range from whimsical to practical. Thank you Alisun for taking part in my Artist Spotlight.  If you would like to be part of the artist spotlight please email me at hhertziger@gmail.com and I will send you the questionnaire.

No comments:

Post a Comment