Friday, March 06, 2009

What are you reading?

I am currently reading a book by James Patterson and Maxine Paetro called The 5th Horseman.  Its book 5 in the Women's Murder Club series.  I haven't read books 1-4 so I'm sure there is some backstory that I am missing but despite that I am enjoying the book immensely.  Thats the nice thing about Patterson.  He puts enough detail into his books that if you miss one (or four) in a series you don't feel like you are missing out on a lot.  I've been picking up his books sporadically as I find them on clearance at the bookstore or at the used book store so I've been jumping around in his Alex Cross lineup too and also do not feel like I'm missing a lot in them either.
The only think I don't care for is the fact that Patterson seems to break his books up into way more chapters than are actually necessary.  It feels sort of like he writes the books as screen plays first and then turns them into books by taking all the scene changes and turning them into chapters.  James, what the heck is that about?  If you read this, I would really appreciate an explaination.
Anyway, I'm not going to tell you what the book is about. I think you should find the book and read it for yourself.  Although being a part of the Women's murder club series, I don't think I'm giving anything away by telling you that there are women and a murder in it.  Happy Reading!
So, what are you reading?  What book should I check out after I am done with this one?

3 comments:

  1. Love your blog and James Patterson. Just finished reading 5th

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Heather
    I'm reading Icy Sparks - which is very good. I've been on a binge lately - read Isabelle Allende's Daughter of Fortune and the sequel, Portrait in Sepia. Then, a book called Bel Canto. All four of these were fast reads and really well done. I think you would like Bel Canto especially. I'm filling in for a gal on maternity leave at TB (another one!) we should chat soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love James Patterson's books -- good choice!

    ReplyDelete